Classic Glider 001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Glider 001

The first in a series of classic gliders for you sailplane buffs out there and very suitable as a scale model project, the picture shows the sheer beauty of a wooden glider against the sky - BUT WHICH GLIDER IS IT?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Celtic-Griffin; 21-04-07, 06:20.
    Ken Bates
    Never Mind the Label

Sorry Pål you are well off, you must begin to think vintage...
    Ken Bates
    Never Mind the Label

Comment

Guess again Pål - yes the Ka8 is a classic but not entirely a wooden glider, the fuselage is welded metal tube construction - just as a matter of interest when repairing them we often poured some Tectyl into the tubes before welding them tight - this to prevent them rusting from the inside.

Come on you other guys out there, I am trying to whip up some interest in quarter scale vintage gliders in connection with an embroyo idea at Røyken and Hurum which I will come back to later - HAVE A GO...

The solution to this little nut will come next weekend, provided no one comes up with the right answer of course.

B.t.w. Pål the Albatros is pictured below
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Celtic-Griffin; 21-04-07, 14:48.
      Ken Bates
      Never Mind the Label

Comment

Finally...

The unmistakable lines of Thomas Schmidt's 1/3 scale Fafnir (all the way from Germany) soaring over Harris Hill at Elmira 2000.

sailplanes.com
        Marius

Comment

Classic Glider 002

Sorry about the delayed reply but my mind has been occupied with another thread this last week

Originally posted by _marius
          Finally...

The unmistakable lines of Thomas Schmidt's 1/3 scale Fafnir (all the way from Germany) soaring over Harris Hill at Elmira 2000.

sailplanes.com
          Fafnir - correct Marius - what an invoking name for such a beautiful glider and with Norse connections:

In Norse mythology, Fáfnir was a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar and brother of Regin and Ótr. In the Volsunga saga, Fáfnir was a dwarf gifted with a powerful arm and fearless soul. He wore the Aegis helmet and guarded his father's house of glittering gold and flashing gems. He was the strongest and most aggressive of the three brothers.

Here is a link to the flying version history as oposed to the dwarf version and it also includes some remarks on the origin of aerotowing...

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/Docume...fnirStory.html

and also a link to some more pics and a free plan if anyone is think of building...

404 - File or directory not found.

Meanwhile another very beautiful prototype for a scale model - but which glider is it?
          Attached Files
          Ken Bates
          Never Mind the Label

Comment

Bowlus BA-100 Baby Albatross (1936)

Bowlus-Baby-Albatross | Aircraft |
            Last edited by _marius; 29-04-07, 19:57.
            Marius

Comment

Originally posted by phammers
              Hah!

Slo deg denne gangen _marius. Se post 4.

Når man skyter med hagle hender det at det streifer til med et treff i ny og ne....

Mvh

-Pål
              Hehe...Du kunne svare før spørsmålet kom jo!
              Marius

Comment

Originally posted by _marius
                Bowlus BA-100 Baby Albatross (1936)

Bowlus-Baby-Albatross | Aircraft |
                You know your gliders Marius - quite correct - I have a quarter scale model of this particular prototype among my current build projects.

Here is another to get your teeth around...
                Attached Files
                Ken Bates
                Never Mind the Label

Comment

Abandoned.....
                  Ken Bates
                  Never Mind the Label

Comment

Working...
                  X