Kingtech K-100 failure at Dreamworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingtech K-100 failure at Dreamworks

We applaud Todd's intention to raise a safety concern on all turbine operations. However, we must point out some details prior to the failure.

The engine was originally purchased from Dreamworks and came in to Todd's shop for failed starts. Todd recognized that the fuel pump was at fault since at full throttle the PW reached 700s when it would normally be in the low 300s. Todd subsequently switched a new pump and ran the engine. During the second run, which lasted 4.6 minutes until it fails, Todd flickered the throttle 36 times like an on/off switch, while the RPM reached 146,000, which was 4,000 exceeding, when the compressor blades depart.

Data file link, see cycle #51:
    LeBlanc_K-100_failure

Regardless, we are not suggesting Todd destroyed the engine, nor are we saying that the engine shouldn't stay in one piece at 146,000, but certainly may have been one of the causes of failure.

I have subsequently sent the data file to Gaspar, and this is what he has to say:
    "Would be interesting to know what happened to old pump. If it was replaced because it was seized, then could be that the multiple start attempts with the seized pump ended by burning the windings of the old pump and overloading the ecu. I would look at the components close to to the pump connector to check for heat signs."

KingTech is known to be one of the most robust engines in the industry, and on the K-100Gs, since #132 we have stronger compressor wheel outfitted. If your engine number is lower to that of 132, please feel free to send it in for a free replacement of the compressor, or you are welcome to wait until next interval service, and we'll be happy to provide the upgrade. Of the over 400 K-100Gs running and flying around the world, this is the only production one that failed, and it failed on a test bench.

Once again, I applaud Todd for bringing this up and thank Dreamworks and its staff for their collaborations.

Sincerely,
    Barry Hou
    KingTech Turbines
    Tom I. Arntsen

Ryddig service!

Comment

Omtrent like ryddig som Mintor!

Eller. Vent... Nei.
      ALF LØVVOLD ../ ALFLOVVOLD.COM / KRILL YAK55M 33% / KRILL EXTRA330SC 41%

Comment

Italian style Har en stor italiensk espresso maskin der ei pumpe røyk. Tenkte jeg kunne kontakte de og bestille opp pumpa, men fikk beskjed om at den måtte åpnes først for å finne ut hvilken pumpe som satt der da det var avhengig av hva som var tilgjengelig når den ble montert.... Men årna seg, bare litt uvant...

Comment

Working...
        X